As a former insurance adjuster and insurance defense attorney in New Orleans, Louisiana, I know the tactics of insurance companies, adjusters, and their attorneys. My ability to understand both sides of litigation gives me a unique perspective and the ability to maximize your recovery.
In addition, the knowledge I obtained by defending insurers makes me particularly well suited in settlement negotiations and in court to achieve the best result for each of my clients. I am relentless in the pursuit of justice and have no problem taking on even the most difficult cases, embracing the opportunity to serve as a confident voice for victims of negligent and intentional acts.
The Law Office of Peyton B. Burkhalter is here to assist if you have been in an accident which was caused by the negligence or intentional behavior of another individual or company. Personal injury can occur in many different ways.
My office handles all types of personal injury cases which include following:
- Auto Accidents
- 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Motorcycle & ATV Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
When you are involved in an accident you naturally have questions. The question is often posed, when I should hire a lawyer. The answer is right away. Most, if not all, insurance companies have their team of appraisers, adjusters and lawyers working to minimize your claim or obtain a quick settlement. Some insurers even send representatives to the scene of the accident.
Below is a list of Do’s and Don’ts if you are involved in an accident:
Things you SHOULD Do:
• Report the accident to the police or incident, in the case of premises liability like slip and fall to the merchant or owner. Obtain a police report or written report of the accident or incident. If this is not done, it will be your word against the other party.
• Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as you can.
• Obtain as much information from the other party involved as you can. At a minimum secure the following: their name, address, phone numbers, driver’s license and registration information, license plate number, and make, model, and year of the vehicle.
• Obtain contact information from any witnesses of the accident. Their testimony may be the difference between winning and losing the case when the cause of the accident is challenged.
• Take pictures or video of the accident scene, vehicles involved and any injuries which are apparent at the time. The photographs or video including, physical injury, like bruising, cuts, scratches or abrasions, damages to the vehicle and surrounding areas of the accident. Your cellular phone is a great tool to capture this important information.
• Start a log or journal. Information which will be important to support your case will include facts about the accident, the nature and extent of your injuries, not only physical injury but also the mental and emotional strain an accident can cause you and your loved ones.
• Call me as soon as possible so that I can help you document your case and begin the process of securing you monetary compensation for the injuries and damages you sustained.
Things you SHOULD NOT Do:
• DON’T speak or give a statement to the other party’s insurance company before consulting an attorney. Anything said in a recorded statement can be used to deny or diminish your claim.
• DON’T sign a release or any papers or agree to anything without checking with your attorney.
• DON’T delay medical evaluation or care. Many believe that stiffness or soreness may go away in time but it may also be an indication of serious injury.
Follow these helpful tips to make sure that you protect yourself and help your case. Always remember to act quickly to ensure that proper evidence is not lost or destroyed. Because Louisiana has a one (1) year statute of limitations or the time period that you have to file a claim as a result of an accident, consult an attorney to protect yourself. Hiring Peyton B. “Pete” Burkhalter is the answer for you.
I am here to help answer your questions and fight for your rights.