Do’s And Don’ts If You Are Injured In An Accident
My firm, Peyton B. Burkhalter Law, is here to assist if you have been in an accident that was caused by the negligence or intentional behavior of another individual or company. A personal injury can occur in many different ways.
My office handles all types of personal injury cases, which include injuries caused by the following:
- Auto accidents
- 18-wheeler accidents
- Motorcycle and ATV accidents
- Premises liability, including slip-and-fall
- Medical malpractice Injury
When you are injured in an accident, you naturally have questions. The question most often posed might be “When I should hire a personal injury lawyer?” The answer is right away. Most, if not all, insurance companies have their team of appraisers, adjusters and lawyers working to minimize your claim or obtain a quick injury settlement. Some insurers even send representatives to the scene of the accident.
Below is a list of do’s and don’ts if you if injured in an accident.
Things You SHOULD Do When Injured In An Accident
- Report the accident to the police or, in the case of premises liability like slip-and-falls, report the incident to the merchant or owner. Obtain a police report or written report of the accident or incident. If this is not done, it will be your word against the other party.
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as you can.
- Obtain as much information from the other party involved as you can. At a minimum, secure the following: their name, address, phone numbers, driver’s license and registration information, license plate number, and make, model and year of the vehicle.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses of the accident. Their testimony may be the difference between winning and losing a personal injury case when the cause of the accident is challenged.
- Take pictures or video of the accident scene, vehicles involved and any personal injuries that are apparent at the time. The photographs or video should include physical injury, like bruising, cuts, scratches or abrasions, and damages to the vehicle and surrounding areas of the auto accident. Your cellular phone is a great tool to capture this important information and support your personal injury case/claim.
- Start a log or journal. Information that will be important to support your personal injury case will include facts about the accident and the nature and extent of your personal injuries – not only physical injury but also the mental and emotional strain an accident can cause you and your loved ones.
- Call me, Peyton “Pete” Burkhalter, as soon as possible for a free legal personal injury evaluation. I can help you document the case and begin the legal process of securing you monetary compensation for the personal injuries and damages you sustained because of the accident.
Things You SHOULD NOT Do When Injured In An Accident
- DON’T speak or give a statement to the other party’s insurance company before consulting a personal injury attorney. Anything said in a recorded statement can be used to deny or diminish your personal injury claim.
- DON’T accept a quick payment or settlement. The severity of many injuries cannot be determined for several weeks and only after appropriate medical attention.
- DON’T sign a release or any papers or agree to anything without checking with your personal injury attorney.
- DON’T delay medical evaluation or care. Many believe that stiffness or soreness may go away in time but it may also be an indication of serious injury.
Follow these helpful tips to make sure that you protect yourself when injured in an accident and help your case. Always remember to act quickly to ensure that proper evidence is not lost or destroyed. Because Louisiana has a one-year statute of limitations or the time period that you have to file a personal injury claim as a result of an accident, consult a personal injury attorney to protect yourself. Hiring my firm, Peyton B. Burkhalter Law, is the answer for you.
Call Me Today At 504-527-4060 – Free Consultation
Peyton B. Burkhalter Law is ready to help you get answer your questions and fight for your rights. Call now to schedule your free evaluation or drop into my office located in Metairie, Louisiana.